Monday, June 2, 2014

wrapping up May

As May winds down, I'm actually fairly proud of how I've done on my goals.  Since my last blog post, I've mostly stuck to my exercise plan and done something nearly every day:

May 19 - 30 day shred, level 1
May 20 - 30 minute run/walk
May 21 - 30 day shred, level 2
May 22 - 30 minute run/walk and played kickball
May 23 - 30 day shred, level 2
May 24 - 30 minute run/walk
May 25 - moved a lot of heavy furniture / rest day
May 26 - 30 day shred, level 2 and 20 minutes of yoga for runners
May 27 - biked on the stationary bike for 30 minutes (thunderstorms)
May 28 - 30 day shred, level 2
May 29 - ran 1 mile, played kickball
May 30 - 30 day shred, level 2
May 31 - 30 minute run/walk

If you count kickball and moving heavy furniture, I've done 30 minutes of some sort of physical activity every day since May 8th.  That's a massive improvement from my April.

Meanwhile, running is HARD - I'm still doing 90 seconds running, 60 seconds walking, and I'm still feeling a lot of tightness in my calves.  Right now, my plan is to not increase my running until I have less pain, but I was hoping I'd see improvement more quickly than I have. I was able to run a full mile last week in 10:23, although I did stop to stretch at the half mile mark for a minute.
I've also been pretty good at tracking what I'm eating.  I haven't been perfect every day, but I think logging just heightens my awareness and helps me eat closer to the 'right' amount for me.  This weekend was tough because I was out of town, but I still think I managed to do alright.

I prompty broke the streak by not working out yesterday - we spent the day with my parents and then drove back to Durham, and didn't get home until 10:30pm.  Oops. I did work out today, though, so I don't feel too bad about it (level 2 of the shred - which is finally getting easier - might be time for level 3!).

So, I should probably commit to some June goals, but I'm not sure my goals are all that different than May, especially since June is going to be a busy month for me.  I'd like to...

  • Continue getting 30 minutes of exercise daily, or as close to every day as possible (target: at least 6/7 days)
    • Run (err, run/walk) at least 3x per week - hopefully increasing my running over time, depending on how I feel
    • Strength train at least 3x per week - whether that continues to be the 30 day shred or something else, we shall see
    • Yoga (or yoga/pilates) at least 3x per week - probably the Yoga for Runners video I found, but maybe I'll get more adventorous
  • Continue to track what I'm eating and stay within my 'caloric budget' most days.  I want to be flexible when I am on trips/etc., but I also don't want to go way over every time I eat out.

Lastly, as I prepare to say farewell to Durham, I thought it would be fun for me to review some of my most favorite restaurants... so look forward to those posts throughout the month of June, alongside updates on my running progress and other goals!

Anyone else have June fitness goals, or suggestions for things for me to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment